Last Updated on
Blueberry muffins are one of my favorites. When I was growing up, Mama bought me boxes of Betty Crocker Blueberry Muffin Mix with wild Maine blueberries. All I had to do was follow the instructions on the box. That was my introduction to making blueberry muffins. I’ve gone through a lot of versions of blueberry muffins since then, making changes as I went.
I’ve finally arrived at what I think are the best of the best. They are loaded with blueberries (because let’s face it, who want a blueberry muffin with only one or two blueberries in it). I added in a bit of lemon zest for punch. It works amazingly well with the blueberries! And the pièce de résistance is the crumbly, cinnamon-y, streusel on top. That is what makes this muffin rise above the rest. When you bite into one of these luscious muffins, you get the sweet from the blueberries, the zing from the lemon zest, and the cinnamon from the streusel. It’s a combination that takes them over the top!Print
Moist, tender, and packed with blueberries, each bite of these muffins yields a bit of zing from lemon zest and cinnamon from the streusel. Perfection!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 48 minutes
- Yield: 14 muffins 1x
- Category: Quick Breads
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
5 Tbsp all purpose flour
3 Tbsp butter
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen, thawed, and rinsed)
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp all purpose flour
1–3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2–3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin tins. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, and flour.
- Cut in butter until streusel resembles small peas.
- Set aside.
- Place washed, drained blueberries in bowl.
- Toss with sugar and flour.
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir together with whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add egg, milk, and oil.
- Stir just to combine with spatula.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins.
- Top each muffin with 1 Tbsp streusel.
Use a pastry blender to cut butter into sugar and cinnamon mixture.
Use a cookie scoop to divide muffin mix into pans.
Keywords: blueberry muffins