These Chicken Tacos are sort of a last minute idea to post. I know how horrible that sounds but Caylie and I were looking in the fridge and noticed we desperately needed to clean out! We put on put thinking caps and… Aha! We can make tacos.
Since we have moved to south Florida there are always new dishes to try! We started eating more things like rice bowls, tacos, stir fry, etc. We have an unlimited amount of inspiration around us all the time. Caylie has friends from pretty much all around the world so it’s fun learning how to make dishes they love!
I’m not really sure what inspired us to start making our own tortillas, unless it’s of course just getting tired of eating the ones from the grocery store and desperately wanting something new. But I promise you, there’s no comparison. Homemade tortillas win, hands down!
We always have chicken, pork, and beef on hand. Some we grill, and some we cook in the sous vide. These particular tacos are made with some left over grilled chicken. They are soooo good! You can’t possibly go wrong!Print
Chicken Tacos with Guacamole and Tomato Salsa
Quick, healthy, and delicious! These tacos are just as fun as they are to make as they are to eat!
- Prep Time: 1+ hours
- Cook Time: 1 minute (each)
- Total Time: 1+ hours
- Yield: 11 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
2 pints grape tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeño, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 loosely packed cup of cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1/2 lime, juiced
salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine flour, salt and butter in a small bowl. Use a pastry blender to combine ingredients. Make sure the butter is cut into small pieces!
- Add vegetable oil and water to flour mixture.
- Stir with hands until thoroughly combined. This will take about five minutes or more.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave for two hours.
Once the dough is done resting:
- Place a cast iron griddle over medium-low heat and let heat up.
- Uncover the dough and weigh out 1-1/2 ounces for each tortilla. Roll into small balls.
- Place the dough in the tortilla press and press until desired thickness.
- Place flattened tortilla on heated up pan and cook until starting to brown, 30 seconds to a minute per side.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!
Fresh Tomato Salsa:
- Combine all ingredients. Stir. Season to taste.
- In a molcajete, crush avocado. Stir in red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and salt and pepper.
- Serving Size: 1 Taco
- Calories: 197
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Sodium: 254mg
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
Keywords: chicken tacos, tacos