Last Updated on
Quick, easy, and definitely better than anything you can buy! This Easy Homemade Tomato Sauce is the only recipe you’ll ever need. Great for pizzas, pastas, casseroles, or even just to eat like soup. It’s seriously so versatile and delicious that even non-tomato lovers will adore this! SO. GOOD.
We have been making this sauce for years! It’s light, fresh, vibrant, and probably one of my favorite things we’ve ever made.
It’s used in so many of our recipes on this blog!
It’s honestly so much better than anything you could buy and it keeps just as long or longer. What’s not to love?!
how to make tomato sauce
First, gather the ingredients!
Now, sauté the onions until they become translucent. This should take about 5-8 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic, chili flakes, and oregano. Let this cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the basil.
After about 5 minutes, use an immersion blender (or place into a blender) and blend until smooth. Serve immediately or store for later!
can you freeze tomato sauce
Of course! That’s one of the best things about this recipe. You can store this in a freezer safe bag and it’ll keep for months. We like to freeze 1 cup at a time, that way we can really control what we need. So, only want a little for some pasta? grab one bag! Need 3 cups for a casserole? Grab three bags!
Of course, it’s all up to you on how to freeze it but this is how we do it. It makes our life really easy to say the least.
what to make with tomato sauce
So many things! Like I said before, we use this recipe for everything. It’s fresh, vibrant, and full of flavor! But here are a few ideas for dinner.
- One Pot Cheesy Baked Rigatoni with Andouille, Tomatoes, and Peppers
- Easy Chicken Parmesan
- Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Simple and Easy Pizza Dough
- A dipping sauce
- Or, just pasta with a little cheese
It’s truly delicious anyway you choose to enjoy it. It’s definitely apart of our weekly (more like daily) rotation!
- If you don’t have access to fresh herbs, use 1 teaspoon of dried oregano and 1 teaspoon dried basil.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can put this in a blender or food processor. Just be very careful! It’ll be extremely hot.
- This recipe freezes really well.
When you make this Easy Homemade Tomato Sauce, leave a comment down below! We love hearing from you and answering any questions you might have! Also, be sure to tag us on social media and hashtag it #MSDeltaHospitality.
- 2–3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 102 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (10–12 stems)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1–1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil (about 1/2 cup fresh leaves)
- Sweat onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and garlic.
- Stir in oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Bring to a bubble (not a full rolling boil).
- Reduce heat to medium to medium low and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add basil and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree sauce.
- If you don't have access to fresh herbs, use 1 teaspoon of dried oregano and 1 teaspoon dried basil.
- If you don't have an immersion blender, you can put this in a blender or food processor. Just be very careful! It'll be extremely hot.
- This recipe freezes really well.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 984mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 3g