Simple, easy, and quick! This tomato sauce has tons of flavor and can used for so many dishes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 3 quarts 1x
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
2–3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
102 ounce can chopped tomatoes*
1 head garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (10–12 stems)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1–1/2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil (about 1/2 cup fresh leaves)
- Sweat onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and garlic.
- Stir in oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Bring to a bubble (not a full rolling boil).
- Reduce heat to medium to medium low and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add basil and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree sauce.
*If you don’t have that ultra large can of tomatoes, feel free to substitute 3 28-ounce cans + 1 14.5-ounce can. Or the same amount of fresh, if you’re lucky enough to have them!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 83
- Sugar: .9g
- Sodium: 195mg
- Fat: 2.4g
- Saturated Fat: .3g
- Carbohydrates: 10.1g
- Fiber: .6g
- Protein: 2.8g
Keywords: tomato, tomato sauce, homemade