Last Updated on
This is one of my all-time favorites pies! It is rich and creamy and hits all the right notes. I have made hundreds, if not thousands, of these throughout my culinary career – both full-sized pies and bite-sized. The bite-sized ones are still one of my most requested desserts for parties! This is one of the few recipes that I have that I haven’t tinkered with or changed in any way over the years.
What is French Silk Pie?
It is a rich, luscious, decadent dessert that is surprisingly easy to make. The chocolate filling in this pie is as smooth as silk, hence the name. Top it off with a lightly sweetened whipped cream and some chocolate shavings. It literally melts in your mouth. It’s so good it is addictive!
A word of caution though, French Silk Pie does contain raw eggs. Even though the eggs are combined with the melted chocolate, they are not cooked. I would use only pasteurized eggs for this recipe, not fresh ones.
Can I freeze French Silk Pie?
Yes! The individual bite-sized pies and whole pies freeze perfectly! I’ve honestly never tried slicing and freezing individual slices, but I think that would probably work well too. Just remember to give it time to thaw before serving!
If you like this recipe, let us know in the comments below. Tag us on Instagram @msdeltahospitality or on Facebook at Mississippi Delta Hospitality.Print
French Silk Pie
A rich, luscious, decadent dessert that is super easy to make!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes active time
- Cook Time: 2-3 hours to set
- Total Time: 2-1/2 hours
- Yield: 1 pie 1x
- Category: Pies
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
4 eggs, at room temperature
6 ounces good quality semi-sweet chocolate
1-3/8 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
Whipped Cream Topping:
2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
Shaved Chocolate for garnish
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler over low heat.
- Slowly whisk chocolate into eggs.
- Set aside to cool.
- Beat butter and powdered sugar.
- Slowly add chocolate mixture.
- Beat well, scraping bowl as needed.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into a pre-baked 9-inch pie shell.
- Chill until set.
- When pie is set, make whipped cream.
- Beat heavy cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar until medium peaks form.
- Spoon into piping bag fitting with desired tip and pipe onto top of pie.
- Garnish with shaved chocolate.
- Serving Size: 8 slices
- Calories: 460 without crust
- Sugar: 26.2g
- Sodium: 165mg
- Fat: 36.2g
- Saturated Fat: 22.1g
- Carbohydrates: 30.1g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 169mg
Keywords: french silk pie, chocolate pie
Shop This Recipe:
9″ Pie Pan
If you feel inclined to share our recipe, please share the link and not the full recipe. If you would like to share the full recipe and photos, please ask us before doing so.