Simplistic look but an explosion of flavor! This Margherita pizza is easy, delicious, and quick.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 5-8 minutes
- Total Time: 30-35 minutes
- Yield: 1 large pizza 1x
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 Tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1–1/4 cups water
2–3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
102 ounce can chopped tomatoes
1 head garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (10–12 stems)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1–1/2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil (about 1/2 cup fresh leaves)
6-7 slices fresh mozzarella, cut in half
Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven with baking stone to 500 degrees.*
- Combine flour, yeast, and salt in bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook.
- Add olive oil and water.
- Mix with dough hook on medium speed until smooth, about 4-5 minutes.
- Place in lidded plastic container that has been sprayed with cooking spray and snap on lid.
- Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Turn out onto flour surface and divide dough into portion sizes – makes 2 large pizzas, 3 medium pizzas, or 4 small pizzas.
- While pizza dough is proofing, make tomato sauce. (Or, if you’ve already done this, just pull a pack out of the freezer.)
- Sweat onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and garlic.
- Stir in oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Bring to a bubble (not a full rolling boil).
- Reduce heat to medium to medium low and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add basil and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree sauce.
To Make Pizza:
- After dough has proofed, divide in half.*
- Roll out on a floured piece of parchment paper. (Or press into your pan.)
- Top dough with one cup tomato sauce (or to taste).
- Place mozzarella slices on top of sauce.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes, until crust is browned and top is bubbly.
- Remove from oven.
- Top with fresh basil leaves.
- Slice and serve.
*You can bake this on the back of a sheet pan, in a pizza pan, or in cast iron skillet. I personally keep a stone in my oven and use it to bake all my pizzas.
*The recipes for the Pizza Dough and Tomato Sauce are full recipes. You will have dough and tomato sauce left over.
- Serving Size: 8 Slices (one pizza)
- Calories: 1,239
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Sodium: 1483
- Fat: 29.7g
- Saturated Fat: 13.1g
- Carbohydrates: 181.7g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Protein: 54.5g
- Cholesterol: 72mg
Keywords: margherita pizza, homemade pizza