It’s the day before Halloween, and we are seeing ghosts everywhere! Time to jump into the fray and make our own contribution to this sweet treat.
With meringue, there are a million different ways you can create something fun and exciting. Whether you decide to make ghosts like these or little spiders (see our Devils Food Cake recipe for inspiration).
The possibilities are endless! Which is why meringue is one of our favorite cookies to make.
In the past, we’ve made and painted ghost-shaped cookies, we’ve molded white chocolate ghosts, and we’ve made caramel-filled chocolate ghosts.
This year, we decided to go for meringue cookies. They’re light, airy, crunchy, fun, and cute. They’re also really easy to make!Print
These adorable ghosts are light, airy, crunchy, easy to make, and fun to eat. What a great way to celebrate Halloween!
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 48 1x
- Category: Cookie
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
4 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
- In bowl of electric mixer, use whisk attachment to beat egg whites with cream of tartar and cornstarch until foamy.
- Increase speed to high.
- Gradually add sugar.
- Beat to stiff peaks.
- Beat in vanilla.
To Make Ghosts:
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spoon meringue in piping bag fitted with large round tip. (You could also used a plastic bag with the corner snipped off, but they won’t be as pretty.)
- Hold piping bag straight about 1 inch above parchment-lined baking sheet and, using medium pressure, pipe meringue onto pan, releasing pressure and pulling straight up.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Use a fine-tip paint brush (or a toothpick) and edible dye or paint to add faces to ghosts.
Stiff peaks means the peaks of meringue when you lift the whisk out should stand up straight, not flop over.
- Serving Size: 1 Meringue Ghost
- Calories: 10
- Sugar: 2.1g
- Sodium: 3mg
- Carbohydrates: 2.2g
- Protein: 0.3g
Keywords: halloween, meringue