Last Updated on
This delicious homemade Pimiento Cheese spread is a southern staple! It’s cheesy and tangy and makes an absolutely perfect sandwich, or a tasty dip for your veggies, or an all-around great spread for crackers. Learning to make it is almost a right of passage in the Delta.
This is my grandmother’s recipe, and one of the few I haven’t tinkered with – except to add jalapeños for my brother!
When we lived in the Delta, this spread was a constant at our house in the summer. It was a favorite snack, whether we were hanging out at the pool or enjoying the a/c in the house!
How to make pimiento cheese
This is a remarkably simple, easy recipe that only takes a few minutes to put together but rewards you with rich flavor.
I prefer my pimiento cheese not quite so chunky, so I make mine in a food processor. Don’t worry if you don’t have a food processor. It is just as fast and easy to make by hand.
First things first. Get your ingredients together. Grate the onion and set it aside. Drain the pimiento and set it aside. Next, grate the cheese either by hand or with a food processor.
If you are using a food processor, change over from the grating blade to the mixing blade. To the grated cheese, add the onion, pimiento, and mayonnaise. Pulse a few times to combine and to reach your desired consistency.
If you are making it by hand, just stir it all together. Season with salt and pepper!
How long does homemade pimiento cheese keep?
I would say it’s safe to keep for about a week. Your results may vary based on how cold you keep your refrigerator.
- A microplane makes grating the onion easy!
- Make sure to use a sharp cheddar for this recipe.
- Our Homemade mayonnaise really takes this over the top!
- As a tasty variation, you can add 2 seeded, diced fresh jalapeño peppers.
When you make this Pimiento Cheese recipe, leave a comment down below! We love hearing from you and answering any questions you might have! Also, be sure to tag us on social media and hashtag it #MSDHospitality.
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces diced pimiento
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise, homemade or store-bought
- 2 Tablespoons grated onion
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- *2 fresh jalapeños, seeded and chopped (optional)
- Shred cheddar cheese into medium size mixing bowl or into the bowl of a food processor.
- Add pimiento, mayonnaise, grated onion, and jalapeño, if using.
- Stir, or pulse, until mixed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- A microplane makes grating the onion easy.
- Use a sharp cheddar for this recipe.
- Homemade mayonnaise really takes it over the top.
- As a tasty variation, add 2 seeded, diced fresh jalapeño peppers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379 Total Fat: 35g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 65mg Sodium: 535mg Carbohydrates: 3g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 14g