Last Updated on
What do you mean it’s just 5 days left until Halloween? Agh! This Florida weather always gets the best of us. It’s actually 81 degrees outside right now with beautiful blue skies. Perfect Floridian Fall day but after being in North Carolina for 9 days, we are missing the cold weather and leaves changing.
Even though we are bummed by super warm weather, that doesn’t deter us from developing delicious Fall recipes. While we were in North Carolina, we were surrounded by so much beauty and inspiration. That got us really thinking. What is more Fall then a Spice Cake?
Well, let me tell you, developing this cake gave us fits. We went through at least 3 different versions! We ground whole spices. We adjusted spice amounts. We mixed our own spices. It didn’t seem to matter what we did. It just wasn’t as flavorful as we wanted. We wore our taste buds out trying to figure it out – and then we moved on to our neighbor’s taste buds! The consensus was the same. Not enough spice. We decided to call it a day and try again in the morning.
When we got up this morning, we decided to give the cakes one more taste before throwing them out and starting over. Low and behold! There was a really nice spice flavor in all of them.
The first one was a bit mild. The last one was a bit strong. But the second one was just right. (Am I the only one who just had Goldilocks and the Three Bears pop into her/his head?) Lesson learned. Allow this cake to sit overnight to develop its full flavor!Print
This Spice Cake was developed with fall pumpkin-shaped cakes in mind. It’s just as good with or without our Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 cake – 12 slices 1x
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1–3/4 cups sugar
2–1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 Tablespoon natural process cocoa powder
1–1/4 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 8-oz. packages of cream cheese, at room temperature
1 stick of butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups of powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour pans. (We use Baker’s Joy.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and cocoa. Set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, stirring after each addition. Do not overmix!
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake about 20-25 minutes, or until done. (Amount of time depends on pans you are using.)
- Beat cream cheese and butter at high speed of an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla and powdered sugar.
- Increase speed and beat until smooth.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 269 without frosting/587 with frosting
- Sugar: 17.9g without frosting/47.4g with frosting
- Sodium: 371mg without frosting/538mg with frosting
- Fat: 13.1g without frosting/34g with frosting
- Saturated Fat: 7.8g without frosting/21g with frosting
- Carbohydrates: 34.7g without frosting/65.6g with frosting
- Fiber: .8g with or without frosting
- Protein: 4.4g without frosting/7.4g with frosting
- Cholesterol: 72mg without frosting/134mg with frosting
Keywords: spice cake, fall, spice cake frosting