Last Updated on
I don’t think it matters who you are or where you live. When strawberries start coming in season, everybody thinks strawberry shortcake. Tender, flaky pastry, topped with just a sprinkle of sugar. Fresh whipped cream with just a hint of sweetness. And those wonderful, juicy, sweet strawberries!!!
How do I make strawberry shortcakes?
The most important part of strawberry shortcake is, obviously, really sweet good-tasting strawberries. Once you find those, the rest is a piece of cake. My pastry starts out just like my biscuits. I sift my flour, baking powder, and salt together. Whisk in the sugar. (Okay, that part is different.) Then I grate in the butter and toss lightly with my flour mixture. From there, whisk together the heavy cream, vanilla, and egg. Add that to the flour mixture all at once and gently fold it together until the flour mixture is incorporated. Once the pastries are cut and on the pan, freeze them for about 20 minutes. Then brush them with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. After baking, while the shortcakes are cooling, make the whipped cream and slice the strawberries. Assemble.
As an FYI, we made these shortcakes a number of times. The best way we found to have perfect shortcakes is to cut them with a 3-inch and bake them in the pans we have listed below. Otherwise, they will spread.
Can strawberry shortcakes be frozen?
Technically, yes. The whole assembled dessert can be frozen. Do I recommend doing that? No. Obviously, it’s better fresh. It also holds up really well (if you have too many assembled) if you refrigerate them overnight. Just make sure to wrap them in plastic wrap before refrigerating. If you want to make the shortcakes up in advance and freeze them, that works really well. Then you can throw together a really good, very impressive dessert in just a few minutes time.
Is strawberry shortcake vegan or gluten free?
No. Although you could make the shortcakes gluten-free, I don’t think you can make this dessert vegan and keep the same quality. It is, however, vegetarian!
Let us know what you think about this recipe in the comments section below. Tag us on Instagram @msdeltahospitality or on Facebook at Mississippi Delta Hospitality.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cold
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 cup course white sugar
- Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 16 ounces strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.
- Whisk in sugar.
- Grate butter into flour mixture and toss gently.
- In a separate bowl, mix together heavy cream, vanilla and eggs.
- Add all at once to flour mixture and fold until all the flour mixture is incorporated. Do not over work!
- Turn out onto heavily floured surface, sprinkle the top with flour, and roll out about 1 inch thick.
- Cut dough with a floured biscuit cutter, gathering up and re-rolling the scraps.
- Place on prepared pan or baking sheet. (If using a baking sheet, note that they will spread.)
- Set in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Brush tops with heavy cream and sprinkle with course white sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Take out of oven and place shortcakes on a cooling rack.
- Combine heavy cream, vanilla, and sugar in a small mixing bowl.
- Beat until medium peaks form.
Putting it together:
- Using a serrated knife, carefully cut cooled shortcakes in half.
- Starting with the bottom piece, fill with whipped cream and sliced strawberries.
- Add top piece of shortcake.
- Top with whipped cream and a strawberry.
- Serve and enjoy.
- USA Bakeware Muffin Pan
- Pastry Brush
- Mixing Bowls
- Circle Biscuit Cutters
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Shortcake
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 450 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 20g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 111mg Sodium: 305mg Carbohydrates: 38g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 16g Protein: 5g