The very BEST Grilled Cheese recipe! The slightly more up-scale version of everyone’s favorite childhood snack. Havarti, yellow cheddar, and white cheddar melted between two slices of freshly baked buttermilk sandwich bread. Pan seared in melted butter to create the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich. One bite is like going back to childhood, just better! Seriously, SO GOOD. Enjoy as a quick breakfast, snack, lunch, or even serve with our Homemade Tomato Soup for dinner!
After a long week of wind, rain, and clouds; I’m desperately missing the sunshine. There is nothing to bring back the memories of summertime comfort like this grilled cheese. It’s like immediately being taken back to all of my favorite memories, just less greasy and with the best cheeses on the planet!
We had some left over Buttermilk Sandwich Bread that was about to go stale and some sliced cheese from the deli that needed to be used up in the fridge. So, grilled cheese was our natural step forward.
Oh. My Gosh.
Homemade bread makes ALL the difference with this. That, and Havarti? Seriously, I am in heaven!
I think I have had a grilled cheese sandwich everyday so far this week. It’s SO good and gets better every time we make it. I, personally, love to dip it in my tomato soup because that combo is absolutely the best. Little spicy, cheesy, warming, comforting…
I think I need a second bowl!
how to make grilled cheese
First, gather the ingredients!
Now, lay the three cheeses evenly out onto the bread.
Brush top piece of bread with butter.
Place sandwich butter-side down on a hot griddle or pan. Brush the other slice of bread with butter. Let cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese starts to melt and the bottom piece starts to brown. Flip and let cheese melt thoroughly and bread is golden brown.
Take off the griddle and serve immediately!
what goes with grilled cheese
The one question I always find myself asking! The answer seems to be almost everything, but here’s a short list of things to give you an idea on how to make this more of a meal rather than a quick snack!
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Apple Almond and Cranberry Super Green Salad
- Crispy Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Homemade French Fries
- Rosemary and Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- The Creamiest Three Cheese Mac and Cheese
- Vegetable Beef Soup
Let us know in the comments below what your favorite thing to serve with grilled cheese is!
- If you don’t have homemade bread, that’s okay! You can substitute with whatever you have on hand.
- Enjoy as much or as little cheese as you like. For us, this is the perfect amount.
- Butter helps brown the bread evenly but also adds more flavor.
When you make this Grilled Cheese, leave a comment down below! We love hearing from you and answering any questions you might have! Also, be sure to tag us on social media and hashtag it #MSDeltaHospitality.
- 2 slices buttermilk sandwich bread
- 1 ounce yellow cheddar
- 1 ounce white cheddar
- 1 ounce havarti
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat griddle or pan to 300 degrees.
- Layer cheese on top of one slice of bread.
- Top with the second slice.
- Brush melted butter on top of sandwich.
- Place sandwich, butter side down, onto griddle or pan.
- Brush top side with melted butter.
- When bottom is golden brown ( about 4-5 minutes), flip sandwich over and cook to golden brown, about 4-5 minutes more.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 Sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 693Total Fat: 52gSaturated Fat: 31gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 1006mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 26g