Last Updated on
Sometimes simpler is better. So have you ever had those days where you just wanted plain and simple. No fuss, add-ins or fillings. Just plain vanilla. Today was one of those days for us. These Vanilla Cupcakes with Swiss Buttercream hit the spot!
Of course, you could easily dress these cupcakes up with fresh berries and a sprig of mint if you want something a little fancier. Some chopped pecans and chocolate chips would be a great addition too! Maybe even add some sprinkles if you are making them for the kids. However you choose to present them, they are perfect!
This isn’t the first batch we made. It took a bit of tinkering to get exactly what we were looking for. Light and fluffy. Moist. Not too sweet.
We originally started with all purpose flour, but switched that out for cake flour to get a lighter texture. We also substituted oil for half of our butter to keep it from being dry. We added an extra egg because sometimes you just have to go with your gut. I’m glad we listened because these cupcakes are so good, you really don’t even need to frost them!
But let’s face it. What’s a cupcake without frosting?! (It’s a muffin. But that’s a whole other thing!) We needed a light, almost ethereal frosting to push it over the top. Enter Swiss Buttercream. Out of all the real buttercream frostings out there, this one is probably the easiest. And there’s less of a chance of getting burned! (Always helpful.) Baking is much more fun when there’s not a trip to the emergency room (or even the medicine cabinet) involved!
So….without further ado, here is our newest cupcake recipe. Let us know what you think about it! And tag us in your instagram photos at @msdeltahospitality!Print
Vanilla Cupcakes with Swiss Buttercream
Moist, light, and not-too-sweet. Topped with a dollop of ethereal vanilla frosting, these cupcakes are everything you are looking for.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 33 minutes
- Yield: 18 cupcakes 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
2 cups cake flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
1–1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 egg whites, room temperature
1–1/4 cups sugar
2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin pans with paper liners.
- Whisk together cake flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Cream sugar, butter, and vegetable oil.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until they test done.
- Start a Bain Marie*.
- Whisk egg whites and sugar together until syrupy, about 2 minutes.
- Place over bain marie and heat, whisking constantly, to 160 degrees.
- Pour into mixer bowl and beat at high speed until egg mixture thickens and cools to room temperature.
- Reduce speed and incorporate butter, a little at a time.
- Increase speed and beat until frosting smooths out. (This may take a while.)
- Beat in salt and vanilla.
*In a saucepan, heat about 1 inch of water to simmer. Cover and hold at temperature.
Don’t panic if your frosting looks curdled after adding the butter. This is perfectly normal. Just keep beating. It will smooth out.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 393
- Sugar: 22.9g
- Sodium: 269mg
- Fat: 27.9g
- Saturated Fat: 14.6g
- Carbohydrates: 33.8g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 91mg
Keywords: vanilla cupcakes, vanilla cupcakes with buttercream frosting, plain cupcakes